Thursday, June 23, 2005

Pistol-packin' mama*

So a Queens transit cop has announced that s/he's transitioning from M to F.
"Everyone's been very supportive, and I'm very happy about it," said a smiling Officer June Lo, who, until earlier this week, was known as Officer John Lo.
I'm happy for J.Lo, but it blows my mind that the NYPD would be so accepting of this, given its completely intolerant conservative reputation. Maybe, to them, it's okay because they're accustomed to being up close and personal with asian trannies.

Lo isn't the first transgender cop, though she may be one of the better-looking. (I will cut Sgt. Gonzales some slack, though--her looks are pretty much on par with the average genetic female Philadelphian.) Both the SFPD and the NYPD have, in recent years, tried to recruit a more diverse police force. But what sort of self-respecting gay man would join with a starting salary $34K?

*That's the hed I imagine the Post would've liked to print.