Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Arson. It's What All The Kids Are Doing



Awoke to the sun shining thru my blindless windows at 5am-ish. Heard the familiar sounds of heavy trucks backing up and moving around sluggishly. I made a mental note about this, as I used to hear this every morning when the garbage trucks would come slumbering down the street. I no longer hear these sounds though, as garbage trucks are no longer allowed to do pick-ups before 7am due to the unfortunate noise they produce.

Then I smelt the smoke. That unmistakable smoke smell.

Looked out the window, and this is what I saw.

Put on my pants, grabbed the camera, woke the roommate, and went outside.

And I took photos.

I took photos of a house burning down to the ground, a target of a succesful arson attempt. Only a few short weeks after a similar attempt in March.

At approx. 2 am this morning, someone walked up to the back porch, poured gasoline all over it, and set it ablaze. Six people lived in that house, and all six made it out safely.

Video of the firefighting effort, and of the subsequent demolition, here.