Friday, July 29, 2005

Sacramento, So Much To Answer For

Free speech is still dieting on knuckle-sandwiches in Sacramento where lawyers are artists too and among an exhibit of their work in the cafeteria of the California Department of Justice, there's an image of our country going down the toilet (left). I for one applaud the inspiring color scheme and calculated use of red, white, blue, and brown in all the right places. I wish I could eat this picture. While it makes me think of buffalo wings, fried calamari, and pulled pork, I bet it tastes like a cupcake. Anyway, the guy who created it is getting death threats from the usual hysterical fanatics in our country who don't trust anyone with a waist size under 40 and who couldn't paintball themselves out of a wet Bible. Here's one phone message left at the artist-lawyer's house:
"Steve and Virginia, I want you to know something. You’ve got some problems. Big problems. You’re fucking mentally insane for one thing.

But now you’ve gone ahead and slandered the life of the men who died for you. Now it’s your turn. Don’t ever put something up like that again. Do you hear me? I certainly hope so. Because we’re less than a day’s march from your house. Cunt!"
Okay, I have to admit, the freak kinda won me over with that last line. Ballsy. But the most disturbing part of this whole story? Blottered's man in Sacramento hasn't reported a damn thing here and once again it takes a New York Citizen Mediaographer to help spread the word of the fear-inspired attacks on the First Amendment as if it was made of badly-scented toilet paper.
Flag-in-Toilet Artist Gets Threats [The Progressive]